- The determination of the age of an organic object from the relative proportions of the carbon isotopes carbon-12 and carbon-14 that it contains. The ratio between them changes as radioactive carbon-14 decays and is not replaced by exchange with the atmosphere.More example sentences
- A highly sensitive method first developed for carbon dating, AMS quantifies isotopes with a detection limit of a few adducts in 10 nucleotides.
- We are waiting for the results of carbon dating and uranium isotope dating to give us more information about how old the skull is.
- Cassels says carbon dating, which always uses 1950 as the starting point, showed three main periods of hunting 100 years apart, going backwards in time from 450 years ago.
More definitions of carbon datingDefinition of carbon dating in:
- The British & World English dictionary