- The imbalance between the carbon footprint of a particular country, group, person, etc., and any carbon offsetting that has been agreed or undertaken to counteract this.More example sentences
- Dr Smith is expected to be challenged by farmers tomorrow on why they are being asked to pay part of the "carbon debt" incurred by their livestock, when Australia has exempted its own farmers from accountability.
- The rich countries' carbon debt is now the clearest argument for conventional debt cancellation, but should also be linked to a commitment to tackling climate change built on the foundations of equity.
- Because there are major costs associated with climate change, in particular for poor countries, yet the benefits of using the fossil fuels were primarily incurred by wealthy nations, the idea of a carbon debt has become a significant discussion point at climate negotiations.
More definitions of carbon debtDefinition of carbon debt in:
- The British & World English dictionary