noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- Of or denoting the acid radical —COOH, present in most organic acids: the carboxyl groupMore example sentences
- The carboxyl group of lysergic acid has been reduced to a methyl group.
- This is caused by a dehydration reaction between the hydroxyl group from the glycerol and the carboxyl groups of the fatty acids.
- It is a weak organic acid that contains a carboxyl group.
More definitions of carboxylDefinition of carboxyl in:
- The British & World English dictionary