Definition of carburize in English:
Add carbon to (iron or steel), in particular by heating in the presence of carbon to harden the surface.
- That is, the hardenability of the case is significantly greater when nitrogen is added by carbonitriding than when the same steel is only carburized.
- Micro-sections of structural steels carburised for not less than 8 hours at 925°C and slowly cooled to show cementite networks are photographed at a magnification of 100.
- In the original cooling or through subsequent heat treatment, a matrix can be internally decarbonized or carburized by depositing graphite on existing sites or by dissolving carbon from them.
- Example sentences
- They can contain 35 to 85% Ni, but invariably contain greater than 15% Cr to form an adherent surface oxide to protect against oxidation and carburization at temperatures up to 1000 to 1200°C in air.
- These various applications may demand resistance to aqueous corrosion mechanisms, such as general corrosion, localized attack, and SCC, or resistance to elevated temperature oxidation, sulfidation and carburization.
- Simultaneous or subsequent carburisation leads to an additional increase in the ignition temperature.
Definition of carburize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan