Definition of card-carrying in English:
1Registered as a member of a political party or labor union.
- Although I have never been a card-carrying member of any political party, I have always had a soft spot for people of conviction who are either prepared to stand for election themselves or work tirelessly on behalf of others.
- Martin Amis, whose famous novelist father, Kingsley, spent decades as a card-carrying member of the Communist Party, wants to arrest the left's laughter so as to indict the left's memory.
- Once a card-carrying member of the Communist Party, she recalls rallies and marches during the turbulent Thatcher years.
1.1often humorous Confirmed in or dedicated to a specified pursuit or outlook: a card-carrying pessimist
More example sentences
- It's something that I, as a card-carrying pessimist, have thought about plenty of times before.
- These books do not tend to incorporate a lot of spiritual content, in part because I think the market for these books is not card-carrying, mature, experienced and dedicated Pagans, or even Pagans at all!
- For a card-carrying liberal, I was surprisingly unapologetic about our decision.
Definition of card-carrying in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan