Definition of cardinal flower in English:
A tall scarlet-flowered lobelia found in North America.
- Lobelia cardinalis, family Campanulaceae
- Plants like cattails, bulrushes, jewelweed, and the lovely cardinal flower do best with alternating wet and dry periods, and survive flooding as long as most of the leaves are out of the water.
- Blue lobelia is more shade- and drought- tolerant than cardinal flower, but both appreciate a targeted drink of water in dry stretches, especially when grown in full sun.
- You can also achieve this effect by planting moisture lovers, such as cardinal flower and Japanese iris, in a bucket or a washtub or by using heavy polyethylene plastic instead of a pond liner.
Definition of cardinal flower in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan