- 1Making sure of avoiding potential danger, mishap, or harm; cautious: I begged him to be more careful be careful not to lose her address [as exclamation]: Careful! That stuff’s worth a fortune!More example sentences
- They were careful to make sure Robinson's helmet and feet did not contact the fragile ship.
- In taking forward his company, he must be careful to make sure that the business case works for each part separately.
- An unadmitted lack of confidence makes him careful to avoid open conflict and he feels he must make the best of things as they are.
- 1.1 (careful of/about) Anxious to protect (something) from harm or loss; solicitous: he was very careful of his reputationMore example sentences
- One is the force of entropy and decay, the other is the force careful of creativity and evolution.
- He also warned shoppers to be extra careful of their belongings when they are Christmas shopping in Naas.
- I remember asking them to be careful of the jacket I was wearing, because it belonged to my sister.
- 1.2Prudent in the use of something, especially money: he had always been careful with moneyMore example sentences
- Yes, these are tough times for everyone, but that is not why he was being so careful with his money.
- He has a reputation for being careful with money, but not with time and laughs.
- Apparently she was that she was a bit too careful with her money and died leaving millions of pounds.
- 2Done with or showing thought and attention: a careful consideration of the factsMore example sentences
- Anti-speed campaigners in Guiseley have been rewarding careful drivers with a smile.
- Considering I was the world's most careful driver, I felt some tension creep into my body.
- It is measured objectively by the care to be expected of an experienced, skilled and careful driver.
- More example sentences
- Do this by gently tipping the plant out of its pot and carefully poking the soil to see if there are any grubs.
- We looked carefully at the fixtures list to avoid any potential clash with the rugby team.
- The best way to avoid all of these worries is to think ahead and plan your bonfire night carefully.
- More example sentences
- But I think there are many reasons for cautiousness and carefulness.
- They take care of all parts with care, engineering precision and carefulness.
- Of all the Chinese revolutionary women, Jiang Jie, or Sister Jiang, is the epitome of perseverance, determination, carefulness and sacrifice.