- 1Not giving sufficient attention or thought to avoiding harm or errors: she had been careless and had left the window unlockedMore example sentences
inattentive, incautious, negligent, absentminded, remiss; heedless, irresponsible, impetuous, reckless, foolhardy; cavalier, supercilious, devil-may-careshoddy, slapdash, slipshod, slovenly, negligent, lax, slack, disorganized, hasty, hurried• informal sloppy, slaphappyunguarded, incautious, inadvertent
- Employers have every right to take reasonable steps to protect themselves from harm from malicious or careless workers.
- Pray that whatever has caused them to be so careless doesn't harm them or someone else.
- It is not fair on others to behave in a careless, foolhardy fashion.
- 1.1(Of an action or its result) showing or caused by a lack of attention: he admitted to careless driving a careless errorMore example sentences
- In planning a quilt, my reaction to this ordered system has always been a reckless measuring which produces careless results.
- Why 100,000 Americans die each year in our nation's hospitals as a result of careless medical mistakes.
- And, yes, there were tragic accidents to mar it, resulting from careless handling of the fireworks.
- 1.2 [predic.] (careless of/about) Not concerned or worried about: he was careless about his own safetyMore example sentences
- The three main parties focus on these ‘swing’ voters and the issues that concern them, careless of the views of the rest of us.
- That made him careless about liberty and willing to use the authority of the state to create the sort of society he wanted to see.
- No one suggests that the government should be casual or careless about the terrorists in our midst.
- 1.3Showing no interest or effort; casual: she gave a careless shrugMore example sentences
- So we covered 1,500 kilometres and more - the actual spots seldom reveal themselves to a casual or careless traveller.
- The careless, the casual, the thoughtless reader will come away from them no wiser than he was before.
- ‘I never felt like I belonged in that world,’ he says with a careless shrug.
- More example sentences
- When I was in Indonesia a young man was killed on his motor bike by a truck carelessly driving on the wrong side of the road.
- Fire chiefs said the fire was started by carelessly discarded smoking material.
- His counsel, Bernard Eaton, said there was no evidence that he had driven dangerously but only carelessly.