1A native of Rio de Janeiro.
- One is a nordestino or a mineiro (native of the state of Minas Gerais) or a carioca (native of the city of Rio de Janeiro).
- Elsewhere, athletic ‘cariocas’ (natives of Rio) play endless games of beach-volleyball, using all parts of their bodies to keep the ball from slamming into the powdery sand.
- You're familiar with that, you know how Orson Welles upon arriving in Rio excited the local cultured, worldly cariocas [inhabitants of Rio de Janeiro, trans].
2 (carioca) A Brazilian dance resembling the samba.
- Repeat shuffle, then carioca, starting with your left foot this time.
- Already being picked up by DJs with a taste for the exotic, Kuduro looks set to follow the path of Brazilian funk carioca and reggaeton, emerging from the ghettos of Angola into the dance music mainstream.
Mid 19th century: from Portuguese, from Tupi kari'oka 'house of the white man'.
Definition of Carioca in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.