Definition of carnosaur in English:
A large bipedal carnivorous dinosaur, typically one with greatly reduced forelimbs.
- Infraorder Carnosauria, suborder Theropoda, order Saurischia; includes tyrannosaurus, allosaurus, and megalosaurus
- Allosaurus, predecessor to the Tyrannosaurus Rex and the dominant ‘carnosaur’ - carnivorous dinosaur - of the mid-Jurassic age, has been well known to palaeontologists for decades.
- The large carnosaurs and tyrannosaurs also appear to have shorter teeth than would be expected for a mammalian carnivore of their body size.
- Many carnosaurs have fairly good-sized forelimbs, unlike the Tyrannosauridae.
- Example sentences
- It was the carnosaurian theropod, belonging to the family Tyrannosauridae.
- Mapusaurus was a giant carnosaurian dinosaur from the Late Cretaceous Period of what is now Argentina.
- L. gallicus is possibly carnosaurian and needs renaming.
Definition of carnosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan