Definition of carotid in English:
Of, relating to, or denoting the two main arteries that carry blood to the head and neck, and their two main branches.
- Blood was obtained by carotid artery laceration.
- The catheter is inserted either at the front of the elbow, for investigation of the neck arteries (a carotid angiogram), or in the groin for a coronary angiogram.
- As he buttoned up his shirt, I noticed the scar on his neck from previous carotid surgery.
nounBack to top
Each of the two main arteries that carry blood to the head and neck.
- Palpation of the carotids, thyroid or abdominal organs was impossible.
- The ancients knew that pressure on the carotids could put someone to ‘sleep’ sometimes permanently.
- From the aorta these bubbles would have gone straight up the carotids to her brain.
Words that rhyme with carotidbesotted, unspotted
Definition of carotid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan