Definition of carpenter bee in English:
A large solitary bee with purplish wings that nests in tunnels bored in dead wood or plant stems.
- Genus Xylocopa, family Apidae: several species
- The most detailed studies of facultative sociality in bees have focused on the large carpenter bee Xylocopa pubescens.
- Pollinators of trees in the Brazil nut family include the female carpenter bee, above, shown as she is about to enter the flower of a sapucaia tree.
- The female carpenter bee bores straight in - in this case upward - then makes a number of lateral bores 90 degrees perpendicular to the main bore, to lay her eggs in.
Definition of carpenter bee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.