(also carragheen or carrageen moss)
Definition of carrageen in English:
An edible red shoreline seaweed with flattened branching fronds, found in both Eurasia and North America and used to produce carrageenan. Also called Irish moss.
- Chondrus crispus, phylum Rhodophyta
- I know how to eat everything you can gather on its rocky coast and bone-white beaches: razor shells, cockles, mussels, whelks, carrageen seaweed, winkles, crabs (velvet and red), conger eel, mackerel.
- We have had another go at marbling: this time we used carrageen moss, which smells like the shore at low tide, and is fairly icky, but works.
- Some old local British recipes make use of carrageen moss.
Early 19th century: from Irish carraigín.
Words that rhyme with carrageenmorphine • aubergine
Definition of carrageen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan