- A substance extracted from red and purple seaweeds, consisting of a mixture of polysaccharides. It is used as a thickening or emulsifying agent in food products.More example sentences
- Keep in mind, too, that most commercial soy milks, especially the fortified ones, contain added salt and sweeteners (cane juice, usually) and are thickened with carrageenan (extracted from seaweed).
- Most commercial ice cream is made with carrageenan, a seaweed extract.
- The use of carrageenan as a stabilizing agent has become widespread and is very effective in keeping the cocoa ingredient bound to the milk protein.
More definitions of carrageenanDefinition of carrageenan in:
- The British & World English dictionary