Definition of carriageway in English:
1Each of the two sides of a divided highway or expressway, each of which usually have two or more lanes.
- On Sunday the cones will be changed and work will start on the other side of the eastbound carriageway.
- Suddenly the coach crossed the central reservation and collided with a public light bus travelling in the inner lane of the eastbound carriageway.
- The woman landed in the middle lane of the eastbound carriageway, but, miraculously, she wasn't hit by a vehicle.
1.1The part of a road intended for vehicles rather than pedestrians.
- The lady driver deftly swung the vehicle back onto the carriageway and we sped up the Lisburn Road.
- Road sweepers were drafted in to clear the carriageway while damaged vehicles were recovered.
- The increase in vehicles and the reduced carriageway made it difficult for them to move along the city roads.
Definition of carriageway in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan