Definition of carrion flower in English:
1A North American climbing plant with small white flowers that smell of decaying flesh.
- Genus Smilax: several species, in particular S. herbacea
- As a group, members of the genus Trillium are commonly known as trillium, wakerobin, toadshade, squawroot, or carrion flower and they have recently gained interest as garden plants.
- The carrion flowers are cactuslike succulents with four-angled, coarsely toothed, spineless stems.
- The carrion flowers are striking, often measuring over 6 inches across, and are covered with fine hair.
2 another term for stapelia.
- The real carrion flowers are Stapelia species, succulent plants from the dryer regions of tropical Africa and India.
- Stapelia spp. are known as carrion flowers, superficially like cacti, but on no way related.
- Known globally as African starfish flowers or locally as carrion flowers, members of the genus Stapelia are usually characterized by their foul-smelling flowers reminiscent of the odour of rotting meat.
Definition of carrion flower in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia