Definition of cashew in English:
1 (also cashew nut) An edible kidney-shaped nut, rich in oil and protein, which is roasted and shelled before it can be eaten. Oil is extracted from the shells and used as a lubricant and insecticide and in the production of plastics.
- Similarly, utilisation of the cashew nut produced in Western Province has not yet been fully realised.
- The tree bark and leaves of the cashew tree are used medicinally, the roasted cashew nut has international appeal, and even the tough shell around the nut is used in local remedies - although carefully as the shell oil can be toxic.
- Daughter decided this creamy curry with a cashew nut base looked more tempting than the meal she ordered but a mouthful later, decided otherwise. The extra dish had been prepared ‘hot’ and nearly sent her sky high.
2 (also cashew tree) A bushy tropical American tree related to the mango, bearing cashew nuts singly at the tip of each swollen fruit. Also called acajou.
- Anacardium occidentale, family Anacardiaceae (the cashew family)
- On the cashew tree outside the bedroom window, ‘the bell-shaped yellow fruits hung lazily, drawing buzzing bees that bumped against my window's netting.’
- There was nothing on it but a little scrub, some casuarinas along the fence near the beach, and one big cashew tree.
- Small bushy legumes were intercropped between the mango trees and cashews to fix nitrogen levels, add biomass and help keep the soil temperature down.
Words that rhyme with cashewcachou
Definition of cashew in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.