Definition of catalyst in English:
1A substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without itself undergoing any permanent chemical change.
- The key tools will be new breeds of enzymes - protein catalysts that speed up chemical reactions in cells.
- Most converters use platinum or palladium metal catalysts that convert carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons to carbon dioxide and water vapor.
- Heterogeneous catalysts are materials that increase the rate of a reaction, but are not in the same phase as the reactants.
1.1A person or thing that precipitates an event: the governor’s speech acted as a catalyst for debate
More example sentences
- Though the film is around these two men, it is the women who play the catalyst to all the events and add momentum to the story.
- It is the union of the latter two that provides the catalyst for the events that follow.
- In Scotland, it has always been Catholic schools which have been the catalyst for this debate.
early 20th century: from catalysis, on the pattern of analyst.
Words that rhyme with catalystphilatelist
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan