- 1A substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without itself undergoing any permanent chemical change.More example sentences
- The key tools will be new breeds of enzymes - protein catalysts that speed up chemical reactions in cells.
- Most converters use platinum or palladium metal catalysts that convert carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons to carbon dioxide and water vapor.
- Heterogeneous catalysts are materials that increase the rate of a reaction, but are not in the same phase as the reactants.
- 1.1A person or thing that precipitates an event: the governor’s speech acted as a catalyst for debateMore example sentences
- Though the film is around these two men, it is the women who play the catalyst to all the events and add momentum to the story.
- It is the union of the latter two that provides the catalyst for the events that follow.
- In Scotland, it has always been Catholic schools which have been the catalyst for this debate.
early 20th century: from catalysis, on the pattern of analyst.