- (Of knowledge of God) obtained through affirmation. The opposite of apophatic.More example sentences
- That, I think, is the point of those who hold that apophatic theology (negative theology) and cataphatic theology (positive theology) are really two sides of a single coin.
- Anselm's theology is excessively cataphatic (affirmative or positive) and rationalist.
- It is from within this christological context that Maximus's understanding of the relationship between apophatic and cataphatic theology is most profitably interpreted.
mid 19th century: from Greek kataphatikos 'affirmative', from kataphasis 'affirmation', from kata- (as an intensifier) + phanai 'speak'.
More definitions of cataphaticDefinition of cataphatic in:
- The British & World English dictionary