- A branch of mathematics concerned with systems displaying abrupt discontinuous change.More example sentences
- René Thom is known for his development of catastrophe theory, a mathematical treatment of continuous action producing a discontinuous result.
- Just imagine what he would do now with concepts like the Gödel Number, the catastrophe theory or the Mandelbrot Set.
- Thus, a number of psychological and social processes have been modeled using complex dynamical systems theories - such as Prigogine's dissipative systems, Rene Thom's catastrophe theory, and chaos theory in general.
More definitions of catastrophe theoryDefinition of catastrophe theory in:
- The British & World English dictionary