Definition of catechu in English:
A vegetable extract containing tannin, especially one (also called cutch) obtained from the heartwood of an Indian acacia tree, used chiefly for tanning and dyeing.
- The chief source of this is Acacia catechu, family Leguminosae
- Gutkha is a mixture of areca, catechu, betel nut, lime, tobacco and mint.
- Extracts of areca catechu, rhus coppallina, diospyros virginiana, sassafrass albidium, and chenopodium ambrosiodes were found to produce tumors in rats.
- Nair et al. first demonstrated that aqueous extracts of areca nut and catechu were capable of generating superoxide anion and hydrogen peroxide at pH > 9.5.
Late 17th century: modern Latin, from Malay kacu. Compare with cachou.
Definition of catechu in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.