A tall, reedlike marsh plant with straplike leaves and a dark brown, velvety cylindrical head of numerous tiny flowers. Also called reed mace, bulrush.
- Genus Typha, family Typhaceae: several species, in particular the common cattail (T. latifolia)
More example sentences
- Plants like cattails, bulrushes, jewelweed, and the lovely cardinal flower do best with alternating wet and dry periods, and survive flooding as long as most of the leaves are out of the water.
- The herbaceous vegetation would have been rich and diverse, including, for example, cattail, buttonbush, numerous sedges, grasses and rushes, and bushy willows and alder.
- By repeatedly removing the leaves on cattail plants, the food supply in the underground tuber will be depleted and the plant will eventually die.
Definition of cattail in:
- The British & World English dictionary