- A small white heron with long buff feathers on the head, back, and chest in the breeding season, and normally feeding around grazing cattle and game herds. It is native to southern Eurasia and Africa, and has colonized North and South America and Australasia in the 20th century.
More example sentences
- Bubulcus (or Ardeola) ibis, family Ardeidae
- In the flooded fields there were some cattle egrets and small shorebirds.
- On the helicopter ride back to my base I passed over some fields I think may have been growing rice. I saw more cattle egrets and a not very satisfying view of a purple heron.
- In August, when I visit, cattle egrets nest in massive cypress tree canopies.
More definitions of cattle egretDefinition of cattle egret in:
- The British & World English dictionary