Definition of cattleya in English:
A tropical American orchid with brightly colored showy flowers and thick leaves, typically growing as an epiphyte. It is a popular greenhouse plant, with many hybrids.
- Genus Cattleya, family Orchidaceae
- There are many popular types of orchid, including cattleyas, dendrobiums, oncidiums and vandas.
- In fact today orchids like the phalaenopsis or cattleyas are very easy to grow.
- The collection includes cattleyas (familiar corsage orchids); miltonias (pansy orchids), with teardrop patterns in the center of the flowers; phalaenopsis (moth orchids); and oncidiums (what florists call spray orchids).
Early 19th century: modern Latin, named after William Cattley (died 1832), English patron of botany.
Definition of cattleya in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan