Definition of cattleya in English:
A tropical American orchid with brightly colored showy flowers and thick leaves, typically growing as an epiphyte. It is a popular greenhouse plant, with many hybrids.
- Genus Cattleya, family Orchidaceae
- There are many popular types of orchid, including cattleyas, dendrobiums, oncidiums and vandas.
- In fact today orchids like the phalaenopsis or cattleyas are very easy to grow.
- The collection includes cattleyas (familiar corsage orchids); miltonias (pansy orchids), with teardrop patterns in the center of the flowers; phalaenopsis (moth orchids); and oncidiums (what florists call spray orchids).
Early 19th century: modern Latin, named after William Cattley (died 1832), English patron of botany.
Definition of cattleya in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.