- The Greater Caucasian mountain range rises in the north and the Southern Georgian Highlands in the south.
- He later told journalists that for the next two months he was convalescing in the house of a local police officer in Kabarda (western Caucasus) who sheltered him in conformity with the Caucasian custom of kunak sanctuary.
- Turnip-rooted chervil, Chaerophyllum bulbosum, an umbelliferous plant native to S. Europe and the Caucasian region, is quite different from cultivated or wild chervil.
- Georgian is part of the South Caucasian family of languages: Zan (Mengrelo-Chan), Svan, and Georgian proper (Kartuli).
- Georgian - a South Caucasian (or ‘Kartvelian’) language unrelated to any other outside the immediate region - is one of the oldest living languages in the world, and it has its own distinctive alphabet.
- The majority language is Georgian, which belongs to the Kartvelian (South Caucasian) language group.
In the racial classification as developed by anthropologists in the 19th century, Caucasian (or Caucasoid) included peoples whose skin color ranged from light (in northern Europe) to dark (in parts of North Africa and India). Although the classification is outdated and the categories are now not generally accepted as scientific (see Mongoloid (usage)), the term Caucasian has acquired a more restricted meaning. It is now used as a synonym for ‘white or of European origin,’ as in the police are looking for a Caucasian male in his forties.
Words that rhyme with CaucasianMalaysian, Rabelaisian
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Caucasian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.