1The amniotic membrane enclosing a fetus.
- They made theirs of pig offal, enclosed in the cleaned caul of a pig (the caul is a membrane surrounding the intestines).
- Around this, fold a layer of Bayonne ham, the two layers of caul and tie gently in 3 or four places.
- Thus he ordered the ‘Triada special’, a huge kofte of chicken, veal and pork enclosed in some sort of natural caul and charcoal-grilled, which he pronounced heavenly.
1.1Part of the amniotic membrane occasionally found on a child’s head at birth, thought to bring good luck.
- Dr. Potato emails from the Phillipines to share another superstition about the caul - that it's associated with a sixth sense.
- The ‘second skin,’ characteristic of both those born in a caul and ‘skin shifters,’ is, therefore, like a serpent skin.
- The range was wide, covering subjects such as baptismal customs, remembrance notices in the press, Essex girl jokes, modern witches, cauls and the puns in the names of hairdressing establishments.
2 historical A woman’s close-fitting indoor headdress or hairnet.
- The sheath and cord, or ‘cauls and strings,’ as they were called, were sometimes accompanied by a purse, as is the case with the set in nearly perfect condition shown in Plate III.
- He held his hands out in the near blackness of the chapel, brushing against her caul.
- Halpern kept his arms crossed and eyes forward, while Ren was grinning and tucking a few stray hairs up under a mesh caul.
Middle English: perhaps from Old French cale 'head covering', but recorded earlier.
Words that rhyme with caulall, appal (US appall), awl, Bacall, ball, bawl, befall, Bengal, brawl, call, crawl, Donegal, drawl, drywall, enthral (US enthrall), fall, forestall, gall, Galle, Gaul, hall, haul, maul, miaul, miscall, Montreal, Naipaul, Nepal, orle, pall, Paul, pawl, Saul, schorl, scrawl, seawall, Senegal, shawl, small, sprawl, squall, stall, stonewall, tall, thrall, trawl, wall, waul, wherewithal, withal, yawl
Definition of caul in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.