Definition of cauterize in English:
verb[with object] Medicine
Burn the skin or flesh of (a wound) with a heated instrument or caustic substance, typically to stop bleeding or prevent the wound from becoming infected.
- The man cauterized the wound, stopping the blood loss.
- Where did they find the instruments needed to cauterize wounds?
- Any bleeding is immediately cauterized with an arthroscopic electrocautery tip.
- Example sentences
- Another option is electrosurgical cauterization of the diseased tissue, which can be performed to treat implants found during laparoscopy; however, the implants can recur after only one or two years.
- On rare occasions, a nose bleed may require cauterization, which is done by the ENT surgeons.
- These vibrations cut and coagulate tissue simultaneously at far lower temperatures than cauterisation, thus reducing lateral thermal tissue damage.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan