Definition of cedar in English:
Any of a number of conifers that typically yield fragrant, durable timber, in particular.
- ● A large tree of the pine family (genus Cedrus, family Pinaceae), in particular the cedar of Lebanon (C. libani), with spreading branches, and the deodar. ● A tall slender North American or Asian tree (genus Thuja, family Cupressaceae), in particular the western red cedar (T. plicata) and the northern white cedar (T. occidentalis).
- Conifers are evergreen trees and shrubs that include pines, spruces, firs, arborvitae, junipers, cedars and yews.
- The huge evergreen family includes botanicals such as European mistletoe, rosemary, cloves, allspice and holly, as well as conifers, including pines, cedars and cypress.
- There are huge Douglas firs, cedars, and hemlocks behind us, and cougars come down to the lake to drink.
- ( literary )Example sentences
- He had shifted into a less fanciful mood: and the shadow that followed him was ugly and hulking and wavering upon the cedarn wall of Queen Helen's sleeping-chamber.
- There are no gardens, no streams, no river, no forest (ancient or not), no trees at all, incense, blossom-bearing or cedarn.
- To further this image of sex in nature, which Coleridge loved so much and was a large part of the romantic and pagan idea, the chasm is very much likened to a vagina, with its ‘cedarn cover’ like pubic hair.
Definition of cedar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan