Definition of celebrant in English:
1A person who performs a rite, especially a priest at the Eucharist.
- Marriage may be conducted by a celebrant, a Church priest, or a vicar.
- Beautiful gothic style church was full to witness the special and different customs performed by the church celebrant.
- The ceremony is an evening one, and will commence with the procession around the Island, reciting the Rosary, and ending with Mass in the Church, and the celebrant will be Bishop Eamon Walsh.
2North American A person who celebrates something.
- This is not true of the birthday celebrant trying to wrestle a towering gift basket, swathed in a yellow bow that's bigger than she is, into the back of her SUV.
- Eating noodles at birthdays has become a tradition, in the hope that the birthday celebrant will have a long life.
- On the eve of Washington's birthday, the celebrants adhered to the principles of the former president's Farewell Address.
Definition of celebrant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.