- A Mayo couple recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with a special get-together in England.
- Tennis fans were today celebrating a major victory in their fight to secure a new tennis centre for York.
- Birthdays and anniversaries are celebrated grandly; sometimes the stars are even gifted with crowns or other expensive items.
- A Lisselton woman celebrates a birthday with a difference this Tuesday as she reaches the magical 100 mark.
- Orkney's oldest resident celebrated her birthday on Wednesday, reaching the grand old age of 103.
- Mr Clinton was delighted to hear that Orla will be celebrating her tenth birthday on the tenth anniversary of the first IRA ceasefire next week.
- Travers celebrated the Requiem Mass and delivered a lovely ceremony celebrating the life of Dessie and referring to his special love for music and life.
- It was the first time the enrolment ceremony for these Sacraments was celebrated within the Mass.
- The Pope said Catholic priests were forbidden to celebrate Eucharistic liturgies with Protestant ministers.
- The media across the Islamic Arab world have endorsed that promise, praised the film, and celebrated its new life in the United States.
- Several universities, institutes and schools in the U.S., India and other countries have been honouring Chawla with awards celebrating her spirit.
- Those honoured include celebrated benefactor John Harrison, brewer Joshua Tetley and cricket legend Sir Leonard Hutton.
- Example sentences
- He's a true Hollywood maverick (he also turned down a Rhodes Scholarship), who has attracted equal numbers of detractors and celebrators.
- Is she really a natural-born celebrator, joyous and outgoing at every turn?
- ‘We're not traditional Thanksgiving celebrators,’ he explained.
Late Middle English (sense 2): from Latin celebrat- 'celebrated', from the verb celebrare, from celeber, celebr- 'frequented or honored'.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.