- A rigid layer of polysaccharides lying outside the plasma membrane of the cells of plants, fungi, and bacteria. In the algae and higher plants, it consists mainly of cellulose.More example sentences
- The direction of cell growth is determined by the orientation of the cellulose fibrils in the cell wall.
- Components of the cell wall of fungi are powerful and general elicitors in plants.
- Similar reactions can be seen in animal cells although they lack the rigid cell wall.
More definitions of cell wallDefinition of cell wall in:
- The British & World English dictionary