adjective[postpositive when used with a numeral]
Of or denoting a scale of temperature in which water freezes at 0° and boils at 100° under standard conditions.
- The Kelvin scale uses Celsius units, the main difference being that zero on the Kelvin scale is absolute.
- The ship's diving team took the opportunity to progress continuation training in the pristine 31 degrees Celsius waters around the port.
- Biological records show that insect species are appearing six days earlier on average for each degree Celsius rise in temperature.
noun(also Celsius scale)
The scale of temperature in which water freezes at 0° and boils at 100° under standard conditions.
- Most of our temperatures will be presented in Celsius, but you can grab a Celsius to Fahrenheit converter here.
- Likewise, we can measure temperatures on the Celsius or Fahrenheit scales.
- I have similar problems with temperature - cold temperatures work best in Celsius, hot in Fahrenheit.
Celsius, rather than centigrade, is the standard accepted term when giving temperatures: use 25° Celsius rather than 25° centigrade.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Celsius in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.