noun (plural centenaries)
The hundredth anniversary of a significant event; a centennial.
- This month sees the centenary of the events that began the 1905 Revolution.
- And it is to salute the centenary of this event that I am talking about William Osler at this particular moment.
- The club has an exhaustive list of planned events to mark the centenary, including a gala evening and dinner at Pittodrie, a rock concert at the stadium and official celebrations on the city's Union Street.
Relating to a hundredth anniversary; centennial.
- This is the centenary month of Arne Jacobsen's birth, and his lifework is celebrated in two exhibitions in Denmark, and a new book.
- The myriad developments that have had their impact on the profession are too numerous to fit into one article-that's why we'll be publishing a series of centenary highlights throughout the year.
- In this, the national theatre's centenary year, this new production of the Abbey's signature play does not suffer in comparison with Garry Hynes's Druid staging last February.
Words that rhyme with centenarybeanery, bicentenary, catenary, deanery, greenery, machinery, plenary, scenery, senary, septenary
Definition of centenary in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.