chiefly North American
- Of or relating to a hundredth anniversary: centennial celebrationsMore example sentences
- His explanation that the money saved would be budgeted towards the city's centennial celebration on New Year's didn't wash with angry citizens.
- By 1976, the year ACS celebrated its centennial anniversary, membership in the organization had grown to over 112,000 chemists, chemical engineers, and chemistry students.
- Klein announced the final $3 billion on the debt would be paid in full in time for the province's centennial celebrations next year.
nounBack to top
- A hundredth anniversary: the museum’s centennialMore example sentences
- CRT will develop and implement a detailed and wide-ranging plan to increase awareness of centennial events and the centennial itself, which will occur on December 17, 2003.
- One could hardly hope to commemorate Isabella Stewart Gardner and the centennial of her museum more suitably than through the remembrance of one of her most prestigious renaissance peers.
- The centennial and bicentennial of Columbus's legendary voyages passed largely unmarked in the colonies.
late 18th century: from Latin centum 'a hundred', on the pattern of biennial.
More definitions of CentennialDefinition of centennial in:
- The British & World English dictionary