- A pivoted board that can be lowered through the keel of a sailboat to reduce sideways movement. Compare with daggerboard.More example sentences
- The keel is a centreboard but not weighted; the ballast is in the hull itself (which sounds inefficient but actually works surprisingly well).
- As a teenager in 1944, I was the skipper of a 10-foot rowboat with a centerboard and small sail.
- In about 1968, the flat plate centerboard was replaced with an airfoil-shaped centerboard and the mast height was raised slightly, resulting in approximately 20 square feet more sail area.
More definitions of centerboardDefinition of centerboard in:
- The British & World English dictionary