(also center line)
Definition of centerline in English:
1A real or imaginary line through the center of something, especially one following an axis of symmetry.
- The central line represents the vertical centre line of the body, and also the progression of the movement.
- To minimize steric hindrance, each residue was rotated around an individual axis directed along the local center line of the helix.
- For this reason, the axis on the left shows negative numbers above the center line and positive numbers below.
1.1A painted line running down the middle of a road, dividing traffic traveling in opposite directions.
- The flagger was standing under portable floodlights in the opposing traffic lane close to the centerline, facing oncoming traffic.
- The recently painted runway centerline was smooth and wet from rain, which had created a near-frictionless surface.
- Barclay leaped out of his way, across the centerline and directly into the path of the semi.
Definition of centerline in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.