Definition of century plant in English:
A stemless agave with long spiny leaves, which produces a tall flowering stem after many years of growth and then dies. Also called American aloe.
- Agave americana, family Agavaceae
- Its larger counterpart, the agave or century plant, like a tank-trap, can still be seen used as a washing line, with the clothes hung on the huge spikes.
- The botanical gardens currently has a century plant which is about to flower.
- Someone else knew where there was a century plant by the side of the road.
Definition of century plant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan