An ammonoid fossil of an intermediate type found chiefly in the Permian and Triassic periods, typically with partly frilled and partly lobed suture lines. Compare with ammonite and goniatite.
- Typified by the genus Ceratites, order Ceratida
More example sentences
- The suture lines of ceratites are less complex, and those of goniatites even less so than ceratites.
- Consequently, sutural nomenclature of Permian ceratites and Mesozoic ammonoids has to be modified.
- At last tracking structures indicate different viscoelastical properties of the septal mantle in goniatites, ceratites and ammonites.
Definition of ceratite in:
- The British & World English dictionary