Definition of cercopithecine in English:
An Old World monkey of a group that includes the macaques, mangabeys, baboons, and guenons.
- Subfamily Cercopithecinae, family Cercopithecidae
- A lot more is known about cercopithecines, such as macaques, baboons and vervets, because many of them are ground-dwelling monkeys which are relatively easy to study.
- There were five primate lineages studied here: hominoids, colobines, cercopithecines, platyrrhines (New World monkeys), and lemurs.
- Notably, the postcrania of these fossil cercopithecines and colobines are quite similar (unlike the situation today) and suggest semi-terrestrial habits.
From modern Latin Cercopithecinae (plural), based on Greek kerkopithēkos 'long-tailed monkey', from kerkos 'tail' + pithēkos 'ape'.
Definition of cercopithecine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.