Definition of certifiable in English:
1Able or needing to be certified: encephalitis was a certifiable condition little hope for certifiable progress
More example sentences
- They get mainly former military personnel, many of them retired, some of them who have just done one or two stints but who have certifiable skills in everything from being an infantryman to being a chopper pilot.
- Press the button and, thanks to the on-board computer simply changing its settings, what had seemed an entirely adequate 400 bhp instantly becomes a certified and certifiable 507 bhp.
- Two brief Ohio related conversations I had with Fred, who is a certifiable Toledo resident.
2Officially recognized as needing treatment for a mental disorder.
- If someone doesn't have a mental illness, if they're not certifiable, I suppose, under the Act, then there are very few avenues where they can go for treatment.
- Nash is a certifiable genius and a certifiable paranoid schizophrenic who we watch go through shock treatments and delusions galore.
- Jack Straw, when home secretary, notoriously complained that he couldn't force people with BPS into mental hospitals, dangerous though they may be, because they are not mad, can't be treated and are therefore not certifiable.
2.1 informal Mad; crazy: the world of fashion is almost entirely insane, the people who work in it mainly certifiable
More example sentences
- Of course, Luhning readily admits to being drawn to those dark characters - he almost cast himself as the sociopathic lead in Ground Zero's Killer Joe last season, until he realized that people might start to believe he was certifiable.
- Which I suppose could cause some people to think I am certifiable, which, honestly, I probably am, but I think the insanity gives my personality the edge it needs.
- Sent to Australia for every crime you'd care to mention, Billie Gould is given the task by the prison surgeon, one of the many certifiable characters in the novel, to paint exotic fish for the Royal Academy back home in London.
- Example sentences
- Astonishingly, one has to be certifiably sane to be a true psychopath.
- And even if you spend more on a certifiably ethical product, could you be accused of being morally abusive to your dependants or charities that would otherwise have received the extra money you blew on being morally superior?
- Despite half-cheering the initiative of the bad guys during the era of certifiably insane Prohibition, I still enjoyed seeing Capone and his loathsome flatterers justly brought undone in the end.
Definition of certifiable in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.