1A series of chairs hung from a moving cable, typically used for carrying passengers up and down a mountain.
- Eventually the bankers built themselves a chairlift, opened the mountain to the public, and called it Stowe, after the nearby town.
- ‘The guests don't even have to pay for anything other than the cost of the chairlift or cable car,’ he explains.
- I once loaded him on the chairlift at Cypress Mountain.
2A device for carrying people in wheelchairs from one floor of a building to another.
- ‘Without the incredible help of the Macmillan nurses, who sorted everything out for us from wheelchairs and a chairlift to emotional support, I would have just blundered along on my own,’ he said.
- But I would plump for the chairlift which wheeches you up the stairs, a handy device if you have had a bottle or two too much of the tonic wine.
- There would be chairlift access for disabled people to all floors.
Words that rhyme with chairliftairlift, stairlift
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of chairlift in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.