Definition of chairlift in English:
1A series of chairs hung from a moving cable, typically used for carrying passengers up and down a mountain.
- Eventually the bankers built themselves a chairlift, opened the mountain to the public, and called it Stowe, after the nearby town.
- ‘The guests don't even have to pay for anything other than the cost of the chairlift or cable car,’ he explains.
- I once loaded him on the chairlift at Cypress Mountain.
2A device for carrying people in wheelchairs from one floor of a building to another.
- ‘Without the incredible help of the Macmillan nurses, who sorted everything out for us from wheelchairs and a chairlift to emotional support, I would have just blundered along on my own,’ he said.
- But I would plump for the chairlift which wheeches you up the stairs, a handy device if you have had a bottle or two too much of the tonic wine.
- There would be chairlift access for disabled people to all floors.
Definition of chairlift in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India