Definition of chalicothere in English:
A horselike fossil mammal of the late Tertiary period, with stout claws on the toes instead of hooves.
- Family Chalicotheriidae, order Perissodactyla: several genera, in particular Moropus
- In Eurasia the fauna included early deer and giraffes, the giant indricatheres and chalicotheres that were quite different from the American types.
- A further two groups are known only from the fossil record; these are the chalicotheres and titanotheres.
- My major interest is the chalicotheres, a group of extinct clawed herbivorous perissodactyls.
Definition of chalicothere in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia