- Vegetation consisting chiefly of tangled shrubs and thorny bushes.More example sentences
- This species lives exclusively in or near sandy soils within coastal dune and scrub communities and maritime chaparral.
- Also important are mountain tops or ‘sky islands,’ and in some cases deep, shady canyons, that support chaparral, woodlands, or other communities that are relics of more temperate periods.
- The thick chaparral of a remote region in the Sespe Wilderness, part of the Los Padres National Forest, in Ventura, California, has concealed a lost herd of desert bighorn sheep for more than five years.
mid 19th century: from Spanish, from chaparra 'dwarf evergreen oak'.
More definitions of chaparralDefinition of chaparral in:
- The British & World English dictionary