- Botany A lower plant of the division Charophyta, such as a stonewort.More example sentences
- An increase in turgor also causes a depolarization in the turgor-regulating charophytes Chara longifolia and Lamprothamnium succinctum.
- These features suggest that the common ancestor of charophytes and land plants had a life cycle similar to that of charophytes, and that the common ancestor of bryophytes and vascular plants was gametophyte-dominant.
- Unlike the other green algae, the charophytes share with plants the phragmoplast method of cell division, and the asymmetric arrangement of their sperm flagella.
More definitions of charophyteDefinition of charophyte in:
- The British & World English dictionary