Definition of chatty in English:
adjective (chattier, chattiest)
1(Of a person) fond of talking in an easy, informal way.
- ‘None that we can talk about’ opined the chairman, in an informal, chatty way.
- While both are extremely charming and friendly, when Michael looks at you, you feel included, he has a chatty, informal way of talking.
- I'm chatty anyway but I probably get even more voluble.
1.1(Of a conversation, letter, etc.) informal and lively.
- In the few days she spent in our house, she and my wife made friends, they wrote chatty letters to one another and exchanged recipes.
- A while back, I got a note from my friend Rebecca in Denver, one of the last people left on Earth who still sits down and writes a chatty letter.
- Voters in Putney have received a chatty letter from Mr Brown all about the budget, without a word on his boss.
- Example sentences
- The letter goes on to chattily talk about kids and work and surfing and fishing and the normalness of everyday life. There's nothing extraordinary about the language or the handwriting - even the paper is normal cream airmail stock.
- She's written the book so earnestly and chattily, so it's good value, but every now and then Jenni is unintentionally hilarious and I just can't take her seriously.
- ‘Someone was saying last night that cicadas breed underground,’ he said, chattily.
- Example sentences
- Despite the deceptive chattiness of his writing, he sweated over every line, often suffering from paralysing writers' block.
- Key issues include the chattiness of people, how often cheery greetings are used and, on the downside, the extent of violent behaviour.
- Strategies to discourage excessive chattiness must be developed.
Words that rhyme with chattybatty, bratty, catty, Cincinnati, Dolcelatte, fatty, flattie, Hattie, natty, patty, ratty, Satie, Scarlatti, scatty, Tati, tattie, tatty
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan