Definition of chaulmoogra in English:
1A tropical Asian evergreen tree with narrow leathery leaves and oil-rich seeds.
- Genus Hydnocarpus, family Flacourtiaceae: several species, in particular H. kurzii, a principal source of the oil
- Finally, an expedition sent by the United States found the chaulmoogra tree in the forests of Burma.
- Tropical chaulmoogra oil comes from the expressed oil of seeds of the chaulmoogra tree.
- The chaulmoogra tree also featured on a Fiji stamp of 1970 in honour of the closing of the hospital
1.1 (also chaulmoogra oil) The oil obtained from the seeds of the chaulmoogra tree. It is used medically and as a preservative, and was formerly used in the treatment of leprosy.
- This form of treatment was adopted by Dr Durack in Western Australia, who treated him with chaulmoogra oil by mouth.
- One of the standard treatments for leprosy has been to inject ethyl-esters of chaulmoogra oil into a muscle with a large bore syringe.
- In the 12th century AD, chaulmoogra oil was imported into China from Cambodia - the native home of the tree from which it is derived.
early 19th century: from Bengali cāul-mugrā.
Words that rhyme with chaulmoograsupra
Definition of chaulmoogra in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan