- 1A tropical Asian evergreen tree with narrow leathery leaves and oil-rich seeds.
More example sentences
- Genus Hydnocarpus, family Flacourtiaceae: several species, in particular H. kurzii, a principal source of the oil
- Finally, an expedition sent by the United States found the chaulmoogra tree in the forests of Burma.
- Tropical chaulmoogra oil comes from the expressed oil of seeds of the chaulmoogra tree.
- The chaulmoogra tree also featured on a Fiji stamp of 1970 in honour of the closing of the hospital
- 1.1 (also chaulmoogra oil) The oil obtained from the seeds of the chaulmoogra tree. It is used medically and as a preservative, and was formerly used in the treatment of leprosy.More example sentences
- This form of treatment was adopted by Dr Durack in Western Australia, who treated him with chaulmoogra oil by mouth.
- One of the standard treatments for leprosy has been to inject ethyl-esters of chaulmoogra oil into a muscle with a large bore syringe.
- In the 12th century AD, chaulmoogra oil was imported into China from Cambodia - the native home of the tree from which it is derived.
early 19th century: from Bengali cāul-mugrā.
More definitions of chaulmoograDefinition of chaulmoogra in:
- The British & World English dictionary