noun (plural same or Chechens)
1A member of the largely Muslim people inhabiting Chechnya.
- The Ingush, closely related to the Chechens, are predominantly Muslim.
- Most were Uzbeks, but there were also Afghans, Chechens, Uighurs from China and a small number of Arabs.
- Others think they may be Chechens or Ingush - another Caucasus ethnic group - or even local men.
Relating to the Chechen or their language.
- The Chechen language is unique to the Caucasus region, and not related to any languages outside of this region.
- ‘There were these Chechen women who were sitting next to a couple of Russian sisters and their children, and they talked,’ he says.
- But the origins of the Chechen conflict lie not in Islamic militancy but in the 19th century Chechen struggle to resist absorption by the Russian empire.
From obsolete Russian chechen (earlier form of chechenets).
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Chechen in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.