- A digit representing the sum of the correct digits in a piece of stored or transmitted digital data, against which later comparisons can be made to detect errors in the data.More example sentences
- Although a UPC number has 12 digits (implying a maximum capacity of a trillion items), the first digit is a category code that in practice is almost always, and the final digit is a checksum used for detecting errors.
- One adds support for error detection codes such as checksums and cyclic redundancy codes.
- Hashing is used in many applications, from passwords and other authentication schemes, to digital signatures and certificates, to creating checksums used to validate files.
More definitions of checksumDefinition of checksum in:
- The British & World English dictionary