Definition of cheerleader in English:
1A member of a team that performs organized cheering, chanting, and dancing in support of a sports team.
- He compared this to pyramids made by cheerleaders at sports events and parents putting tethers on toddlers.
- It is tradition for the lead cheerleader to date the football captain.
- In each event, the cheerleader failed to complete the flip and landed on his or her head.
1.1An enthusiastic and vocal supporter: he was a cheerleader for individual initiative
More example sentences
- But her most vocal cheerleaders are her children Max and Stella, aged eight and six respectively.
- It is more like self-help with an enthusiastic cheerleader.
- His religious supporters are his greatest cheerleaders.
- 1cheerlead verb (past and past participle cheerled)
- Example sentences
- I'm afraid I'm not able to cheerlead much at the moment, though.
- We don't have to cheerlead in our boxers anymore!
- He put the team ahead of personal goals and ambitions, taking upon himself to mentor and cheerlead for his understudy-turned-starter.
Words that rhyme with cheerleadercopyreader
Definition of cheerleader in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.