- A reptile of the order Testudines (formerly Chelonia); a turtle, terrapin, or tortoise.More example sentences
- Most studies of the locomotor performance of reptiles have focused on lizards, with chelonians, especially hatchlings and juveniles, being largely overlooked.
- The program she directs is to study the diversity and biology of southern Africa's chelonians (tortoises and turtles).
- Among tetrapods, most species of mammals, birds, amphibians, and chelonians are larger at higher latitudes.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting chelonians.More example sentences
- Over the last 15 years, the focus of Sal's herp interests has been primarily dedicated to chelonian husbandry.
- This drug is perhaps the most commonly used treatment in chelonian medicine.
- As a chelonian keeper, Chris has worked with several tortoises, and north American freshwater turtles.
More definitions of chelonianDefinition of chelonian in:
- The British & World English dictionary