Definition of chelonian in English:
A reptile of the order Testudines (formerly Chelonia); a turtle, terrapin, or tortoise.
- Most studies of the locomotor performance of reptiles have focused on lizards, with chelonians, especially hatchlings and juveniles, being largely overlooked.
- The program she directs is to study the diversity and biology of southern Africa's chelonians (tortoises and turtles).
- Among tetrapods, most species of mammals, birds, amphibians, and chelonians are larger at higher latitudes.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting chelonians.
- Over the last 15 years, the focus of Sal's herp interests has been primarily dedicated to chelonian husbandry.
- This drug is perhaps the most commonly used treatment in chelonian medicine.
- As a chelonian keeper, Chris has worked with several tortoises, and north American freshwater turtles.
Definition of chelonian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan